View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #32
Knit On!
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,457 Times in 6,038 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Continental isn't just holding the yarn in the L hand. It and english style are called 'western' knitting because the sts are formed so the front leg is closest to the tip of the needle. Russian and combined are 'eastern' knitting because the purls are wrapped 'backwards' or scooped and the back leg is closest to the tip of the needle, so you have to knit into that leg to keep from twisting the sts. If you don't and knit into the front leg, it's called Eastern crossed because the sts are twisted. There's other markers that differentiate them too, but you can read about that on Annie Modesitt's site or the link to Grumperina's.
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote