View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #287
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi!

I knit swatches like a good little knitter should, but I read somewhere that it's not such a good idea to unravel the swatch and re-knit with the yarn.

Well, some of the sock yarns I've been buying are a bit costly and I kept feeling like I was wasting a chunk of yarn and accumulating bunches of swatches.

I'm probably the last person on this planet to figure out the following, and if so, please bear with me!

I learned to wind a center-pull ball from Amy's video and it works like a charm. Usually when I get to the end of a sock I've got yarn left over, so I just pull the yarn for the swatch from the outside of the ball. Then when I'm finished the swatch I note down the gauge and needles and unravel the swatch, wrapping it back around the outside of the ball. When I go to knit the sock I work with the new yarn from the center pull. I'm sure this would work with a skein that's already wound with a center pull.

I'd really like to hear how you all handled the swatch/yarn issue.

Thanks!
Ruthie
This past winter I started knitting mittens for charity. My local elementary school always has kids coming into the office looking for them (or hats and scarves). I use these leftover bits of yarn to make these mittens in stripes. Using unraveled swatches in these mittens isn't a big deal. The office people are thrilled to get anything for their kids.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (04-17-2011)