Thread: Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
I started learning to spin a few years ago, and a wise woman told me that I would have to choose between knitting and spinning, because I wouldn't have time for both. I set out to prove her wrong, but soon realized it to be true.

Spinning is a time-consuming, tedious process that requires a lot of concentration, time, and talent. If you want to be good at it, you have to set aside everything else for learning time. When you learn what you're doing, you don't have time to do much else.

I have a spinning wheel, carders, a flick carder, spindles, and several boxes of beautiful fiber I purchased on eBay. I also tried out working with raw fleece, but will never do that again. Filthy work. The prettier fiber (roving and top) is fun to work with, but takes FOREVER to make a full skein. And if you're learning (like me), the finished yarn is not consistent enough to knit a pretty garment.

I'm not giving up on spinning. I just never have time for it. I'm too busy knitting with the pretty yarns I buy in shops and craft stores. Maybe one day, I'll have time to sit and spin some more. The fiber isn't going anywhere.

But, spinning is fun to learn. If you want to do it, go for it. You might have a love for it.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
zengrenouille (06-24-2011)