View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #22
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Yay! I just found a way that I can make things for our KAL/CAL, and ALSO give to charity! (If you don't know this about me already, I LOVE charity knitting!)

Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota is the poorest spot in the USA. The average life expectancy for residents is only 47 for males and early 50s for women. The unemployment rate is 90% and the teen suicide rate is four times the national average. Basics such as running water, heat and food are scarce for many residents let alone jobs and health care. These challenges are particularly difficult to deal with given the geographical isolation of the Rez and the incredibly harsh climate.

Right now, there is a campaign to make cotton wash cloths for the elders. They are always in need of wash cloths. The cotton ones feel so great against people’s skin. Feel free to go crazy with the colors.

Please send these items to the Wounded Knee CAP (Community Action Program) Office located in Manderson, SD.

The address is:
Wounded Knee CAP Office
101 Main Street
Manderson, SD 57756

The USPS address is:
Wounded Knee CAP Office
P O Box 133
Manderson, SD 57756

I have WAY too much cotton yarn, so I am gonna knit and crochet dishcloths until the stash looks more reasonable.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote