Thread: Knook
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

suzeeq, that is truly amazing. The "Dutch knitting," as the blogger says it's called in her family, is also called "Bosnian slip-stitch/crochet," and the crochet hook she's using is sold by Lacis as a "Pjoning crochet hook."

I purchased one a couple of months ago to work with slip-stitch crochet. My jaw completely dropped when I clicked on the Netherlands blog and saw a Pjoning-hook twin being used in a completely different way!

There seems to be a continuum--or, perhaps, constellation--of techniques that includes tambour work, igolochkoy, locker hooking, crochet (English/American type), Tunisian crochet, knitting, knooking, "Dutch knitting" (per the blog), Bosnian/slip-stitch crochet, Korsnas "crochet," nalbinding, tvaandstickning, and (probably the Ur-Teknik of them all) sprang, which some textile-history researchers now believe gave birth to both weaving and the "tool + fiber" arts.

The "let them eat cake" ("Learn to knit") statements always sadden/infuriate me based on my own many years of difficulty and the knowledge that there *are* people who would like to learn to knit but cannot.

The other statements (which I've read on this very board, one from a highly regarded moderator) along the lines of "well, crochet is [insert your favorite derogatory phrase]" also are depressing/baffling. If both crochet and knitting are related arts, why must one be "superior" and the other "inferior"?

With so many fields of endeavor, I very much regret the 15 years I had to lose to the needle arts of all kinds. I don't have time to put down the arts I can't do; I want to learn as many as possible.

Swimming against the tide uses more energy than simply coming to this knitting board and reading about knitting should, even though I restrict myself to the How To, Patterns, and other brass-tacks areas. Then, to find in the "Crochet" area, someone saying the same "Let them eat cake" phrase about knooking is pretty...well..."amazing" is probably the most polite word I can use to describe my feelings when I read the OP's post earlier today.

Clearly, based on the Dutch blog, the research by Dora Ohrenstein on Bosnian/slip-stitch crochet, and other "discoveries" by English-language researchers, academicians, and yarn-workers of folk and ethnic fiber techniques around the world, what we know as "crochet" and "knit" are only two of many styles of working the yarn.

A little more flexibility of attitude would be very welcome.

DCM
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DogCatMom For This Useful Post:
irishsmitty (02-10-2013)