View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
People often don't respond if they have nothing to add to the conversation. Not everyone has taken a class at a yarn store. It doesn't mean we don't value your input and enjoy you being here with us.

I did see the post, but it was very late and I wanted to wait till morning to respond. --
My first msg was late Monday night; the second, late Tuesday night. I've been on the Internet long enough to give people at least 24 hours to respond.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I have taken several classes at my LYS and haven't had a problem personally. I've heard them talk on occasion of a time being off or some mixup, but as far as I can tell it's always corrected quickly and the class members called that signed up so they would know what had changed or been corrected.
Since I was new to taking classes, I wasn't expecting a phone call, so when it didn't happen, no big deal. I just showed up, per my note in my written calendar, and All Chaos Broke Out.

So the answer is no, not all LYS classes are as bad as you encountered. Is there a knit night or social knitting day that you could join? That is often a good way to get to know people and get a bit of help as well. I go to a regular social knit night on Friday and I usually end up going to the social spinning night to just sit and knit and visit as well. There are some very helpful people in the group and we even have our own "classes" or "knit-a-longs" as well.
The ones at the local public libraries are at difficult times except for one *monthly,* one-hour long get-together. I've been to that one twice, and they were nice people. I mean, it's at the library....and the librarian is the coordinator. But 1 hour is hardly enough time for 14 or so women to show what they've been working on for the last month, much less get help, so although it's a nice vibe, I don't look at it as a method of getting technical assistance.

I'm still looking, believe me, but yarn stores in Oakland, Novato, Vallejo, San Rafael, one of the two shops in Berkeley, a yarn dept. in Berkeley, and maybe others have closed in the last year or so. When you look at S.F. Bay Area traffic, getting anywhere between 4:00 and 6:30 in the afternoon is very dicey, so when I look farther afield, I need a later starting time just to avoid sitting on a very long, skinny parking lot and adding to Greenhouse Gas Emissions.

If this isn't an option maybe you could find a group of like minded knitters and start your own knitting group.

ETA: I think you live in Norcal? Wish you lived down here I'd take you to MY LYS!
How far south are you? Way south, or just Central Coast?

DCM

Last edited by DogCatMom : 08-17-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: syntax
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote