View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I tired doing the stitch as you gave it and got the same results you did.

Then I looked through my stitch books (Your sample's purple yarn is not the easiest to see what is happening on though.) I found a couple of things that looked similar, but when my husband came home for lunch I showed him what I was up to and he looked at the purple swatch and said, "It looks like a bunch of knots." I told him I had seen a stitch in the book called a Knot Stitch and maybe I should take a closer look at it.

So I did and saw that it was formed quiet a bit like yours but mostly knit instead of mostly purl. Here is what it said:

This must be worked on a multiple of 2+1 to work.

Row 1 (RS): Knit
Row 2: K1, *p2tog without slipping sts off needle, then k tog the same 2 sts; rep from * to end. (my comment: remember to put the yarn in back before you knit the 2tog)
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: *P2tog without slipping sts off needle, then k tog the same 2 sts; rep from * to last st, k1.
Repeat the 4 rows for the pattern.

I knitted that up and it looks quite a bit like your purple picture. And that gave me the idea that maybe your pattern needs to be worked over an odd number of stitches and offset like that. So I tried:

Multiple of 2+1

Row 1: Purl
Row 2: K1, *k2tog but don't take off the needle then knit the first st again; rep from *.
Row 3: Purl
Row 4: *K2tog but don't take off the needle then k the first st again; rep to last st, k1.

I just had another idea and tried it out:

Multiple of 2+1
Row 1: Purl
Row 2: K1, *k2tog then bring the yarn to the front and purl the same 2tog again; rep from *.
Row 3: *K2tog then bring the yarn to the front and purl the same 2tog again; rep from * to last st, k1.
Row 4: Purl

That looks pretty good. You still have a side that looks quite a bit like your pink result, but I believe for this stitch that that will be the wrong side not the side you want. Even your original pink sample, turn it over and it is closer to what you are looking for than the side that looks sort of like ribbing.

Try my 3 alternatives and see if any of them look like something you could use.