View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

I hope I'm doing this reply thing right - it's my first and there were a few choices...can you tell I've never belonged to a forum...lol.

First, thanks a million for the time you took to do such a great job of writing such clear instructions!

Unfortunately, I'm sorry but I still don't understand one part - it's on both the neckline and the arm opening -

I understand your translation on Row 3, about 3 dc in 1 dc - but it's the next 3 words I don't get - "from row 3" - ? Aren't we ON row 3 at that point?

And when that same pattern is repeated as Row 2 of the arm opening, all we've done to the arm opening before that as far as I can see is 1 row of single crochet - so how could we do anything to a double c "from the row 3"?

No doubt I'm missing something -

I'm relieved to hear it's badly done - hate to think I'm getting even more dense as time goes by

Thanks again
p.s. timing is everything - we're finally getting summer - lol the house is 83F, and I'm trying to come up with a pattern plan for a Christmas dress for my doll - got the most beautiful Christmas yarn last week!

Originally Posted by DogCatMom View Post
I hope I've picked up the correct crochet instructions from the correct pattern. If not, then apply what appears here to the correct pattern:

Crochet 1 row of sc along the back opening and the neckline
translation: sc = single crochet

Crochet 2 nd row of dc.
translation: dc = double crochet

Row 3: *3 dc in 1 dc from the row 3, skip 1 dc, 1 sc, skip 1 dc*
translation: a) just as in knitting, repeat the steps between the * * as many times as indicated or until the end of the row.
b) *3 double crochet stitches in 1 double crochet from row 3, skip 1 double crochet, make 1 single crochet, skip 1 double crochet*--this makes the lace-like pattern that you can see on the edge

repeat along the neckline.
translation: Do the same thing along the neckline.

Crochet sc along the right back, crochet sc along the left back making 8 button loop crochet ch 3 evenly.
translation: I think you have the picture now, but be sure and allow for 8 evenly spaced button loops (maybe mark the locations ahead of time with stitch markers). Make the loops between consecutive single crochet stitches by creating 3 chain stitches and leaving the 3 ch sts when you crochet into the next single crochet.

Crochet 1 row of sc arond the arm openings.
translation: Except for the misspelling of "around," this should be clearer now.

Row 2: *3 dc in 1 dc from the row 3, skip 1 dc, 1 sc, skip 1 dc* repeat along the arm opening.
translation: This is like Row 3 along the back and neck opening.

Please know that the pattern instructions are poorly organized and not well written. The row numbers aren't all that clear, esp. if you're not experienced in crochet. But you'll be OK, since you *are* an experienced knitter and the concept of "rows" is strong!

DCM