View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
spheniscid
Casting On

Help deciphering this knitting pattern, please
I'm fairly new to knitting, and I'm attempting my first non-linear (aka not a scarf) thing, by knitting a sweater for one of my dogs. I'm following the pattern here (tried to post the link, but wasn't able to...only including relevant part of pattern):
Neck

Using smaller needles, CO 48[62] sts.

Row 1: [WS] Sl 1, p1, *k2, p2* repeat from * to last 2 sts, p1, k1.

Row 2: [RS] Sl 1, k1, *p2, k2* to end.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until neck measures 1.5[2] inches, ending with a WS row. Change to larger needle.

Body Shaping

Row 1: ]RS]: Sl 1, k1, m1, work sts as they appear until 2 sts remain on L needle, m1, k2.

Row 2: [WS]: Sl 1, p1, k1, work rib sts as they appear to last 3 sts, k1, p1, k1.

Row 3: [RS]: Sl 1, k1 m1, k1, work rib sts as they appear to last 3 sts, k3.

Row 4 [WS]: Sl 1, k2, work rib sts as they appear to last 4 sts, k2, p1, k1.

Repeat m1 increase on each edge of RS rows as established 10 times, sl 1, and k last st to maintain selvedges.
Continue to work the rib sts as established. When increases are complete you will have 70[84] sts.

Work pattern as established until piece measures 4.5[6] inches from beginning, ending with a WS row.
__________________________________________________ ________

I'm in the first body shaping phase of this project. I'm a little confused, first of all, why you don't increase on both ends as you do in the first RS row (see Row 3 instructions). Is this just a typo? Also, I'm a little confused at what the pattern means by "Repeat m1 increase on each edge of RS rows as established 10 times, sl 1, and k last st to maintain selvedges." I get that I'm supposed to increase (at both ends?) for each RS row, and that I need to slip the first stitch and knit the last stitch, but how do I go about doing that? Because the instructions for both of the RS rows in this section are slightly different (especially towards the ends). This may seem like a dumb question, but any help any of you can provide would be great. Thanks!
spheniscid is offline   Reply With Quote