View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

You are not supposed to lose paid apps -- the Market keeps track of those for you -- unless they are no longer available in the Android Market. I have one paid app and showed up automatically when I checked "My Apps" in the Market. All my free ones are sort of lost.

I used to use AppBrain to sync my apps, but I was having problems with it on my phone and have been using the Amazon appstore more often. I haven't reinstalled AppBrain and am thinking I may not bother. Instead I have been searching for any apps I want to reinstall through Amazon and saving them that way. (If they weren't already ones in my Amazon account.)

Since it's a phone -- updated frequently, subject to loss and breakage, etc -- I personally don't spend a lot of time trying to preserve what's on it. The important things -- pictures, emails, contacts, etc -- I have sync'd online or backed up onto the memory card.

As far as I know, there is not a way to save the settings.

I think "factory reset" just resets the phone to the original settings of the OS that you have installed, without any extra features, bells, or whistles beyond what the manufacturer tacked on. I hadn't considered that before, but I think it does erase what was there before and if you want to go back, you have to find and download the install file for the other OS yourself.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote