View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Olha
Turning the Heel

Thanks! For little mitens: Yarn -- Cabin Fever Northern Lights, bulky weight. Needles -- 4.5mm bamboo dpns. Some kind of general 'how to knit mittens' instructions

But I counted stitches and wrote it down, just in case because I liked the proportions. If you have a hand to measure against, it's easier. Basically, you cast on whatever number of stitches you need (24 or 26 here), make a cuff of your choice (either 10 rounds of 1x1 ribbing or 3 garter ridges), knit in a round until someone's thumb (in my case, it was either 10 or 12 rounds, leave 4(5) stitches on scrap yarn, continue in the round until the pinky tip. Then decrease by k2tog and ssk on each round until 4(6) stitches left.

I tried a more gradual decrease and left some stitches to graft on white mittens but the brown ones look neater, I think.

And for the thumb, pick up two more stitches on the sides, I used M1 increase to avoid holes. When the thumb is long enough, k2tog on the last round, pull yarn through remaining stitches.

And wristwarmers are here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...n-wristwarmers

Last edited by Olha : 12-28-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Olha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Olha For This Useful Post:
aprilbetty (12-28-2011)