View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Originally Posted by knittoknit View Post
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I had a little trouble understanding but i will check on you tube. I wanted to do a few rows of black then a thin gray stripe then continue in black almost all the way then do another stripe of gray and end with the same amount of black rows at the end. I am doing all knitting, no pattern, I'm not ready for the patterns they confuse the heck out of me. Thanks again everyone!!
That's easy and there's no trick to it, just cast on and knit as much as you want of the black, then cut the yarn and start knitting the gray stripe. When you have what you want cut that yarn and start knitting with the black again. You could carry the other color up the side, but it's not recommended for more than a few rows or it'll be obvious so cutting is the best method.

You'll have tails from the ends, but you can weave those in when you're done or after you've done a few inches past them. Here's a good tutorial on weaving in the ends.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote