Thread: Just Learning
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
sweetpea63
Casting On

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Generally, you can categorize the two methods by how you hold the yarn--continental knitters hold it in their left hand and English knitters in their right. If you look at the how-to videos on this site, you'll see videos for both styles for just about everything. Here's one link to the knitting stitch help page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch. At the top is continental, and if you scroll down, you can see English.

By the way, while there are just a couple of ways to crochet (that I've seen), there are tons of ways to knit, and the way people hold the yarn, where they place the needles, and how they wrap the yarn varies from person to person and from country to country.

Whenever I taught my friend to knit, I taught her standard continental and encouraged her to learn the basics that way. But then I told her to explore other options until she found a method that was comfortable and fast for her.

And one further note: There's no "wrong way" to knit. All of your stitches may be twisted and someone may tell you that you're doing it wrong, but if YOU like how it looks, then it's not wrong. Just remember: There aren't any "knitting police"!
thank you
sweetpea63 is offline   Reply With Quote