View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
CraftyCricketNC
Casting On

Proper Etiquette
I need some advice regarding a pattern I found online for a "simple cap." The person who posted the pattern gave instructions for both bulky yarn and worsted yarn. Since I am still new and have been using worsted yarn on all of my projects thus far, I went straight to the instructions for worsted (which was beneath the instructions for bulky yarn).
Anyway, she said to knit in stockinette stitch for 4 & 1/2 to 5 inches after the one inch of ribbing (k1, p1). So being the "newbie" that I am, I went to my beginner's book and double checked the definition of stockinette stitch, which is of course, alternating rows of knit and purl stitches.
Then, when the pattern came to the part about decreasing for crown shaping, it was suddenly knit every row...I realized this was going to possibly look odd. I went up to the instructions for bulky yarn on her page, and found that she had "defined" stockinette stitch as "knit every row" in this section--which is actually garter stitch, of course.
I finished the cap for the practice because it was my first project on circular needles and of course, I like to finish what I start! It does look odd, but too big for me to wear anyway. Besides, my husband liked the stockinette stitch and asked me to make him a hat with stockinette stitch all the way to the top--I am currently working on that project and am almost done! No harm done in the end.
However, I would like advice on the proper etiquette for correcting someone who posts a pattern online...Is there a proper way to do this? Should I just leave it alone? She does have a link to her email address on her page...My concern is for other new knitters who may do the same thing I did. Besides, she proclaims this as being "the simplest cap of all."
CraftyCricketNC is offline   Reply With Quote