Thread: Yarn overs??
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
amethystlady2
Casting On

I really love this forum...I've learned a lot just since reading and joining last night...
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
You can certainly bind off each section, seam them and then pick up sts around the neck (72sts) and knit the neckband. You can either join all 4 sections, pick up sts and knit the neckband in the round or leave one seam open, pick up and knit the neckband and then close the 4th seam as the pattern instructs.
I think the pattern is just trying to save the extra step by keeping the final row of live sts in each section so that you don't have to pick up sts.
I like working into yarn overs and they certainly are a big part of the look of this poncho. Enjoy finishing the remaining sections!
Hi Salmon, actually, I'm trying to avoid having to do all of that...true, it will alter the pattern, but that seems like such a lot of extra work to me...I was not sure about all that [k1,p1] into yo...until I did it a few times...and it is kind of fun...however on the next row, you have all these long strands, and it kind of throws you for a 'loop', pardon the pun, at first...I do like the lacy, open look of the poncho...but am wondering if I can't just bind off and make a normal type of top after the 72 rows...I am already way off on my stitch count...but this pattern doesn't tell you how many stitches you should have...you CO 90...and at the point I'm at, I have well over 100 + stitiches...I do like the scalloped edge at the bottom...and the open lace look but just think that's an awful lot of work to do that with the neckband...I have other poncho patterns that you just bind off and sew up the sides... with this one, I will have four sides...which may be pretty huge, considering you use 90 CO'ons for each section...maybe I am just being a baby about doing that stitch holder stuff...(I really haven't done that before)...lol...I have knitted a LOT of ponchos, headbands, purses, and slippers, sweaters, but never have had to hold stitches...maybe I should go to my craft shop and ask for help? I'm doing this poncho simply because I like the edge and the lacy look...should be a lot 'cooler' than my normal, closed ponchos...and not because I'm a big fan of Martha's...I really never had the opportunity to watch any of her shows...thanks for the input...and I guess I should 'man up', even tho I'm not a man, and dive in and do it the way its supposed to be done?
amethystlady2 is offline   Reply With Quote