View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

There's the old expression: Bloom where you are planted. I've knit mittens when it was cold and given them away to people who needed them while riding the bus to work. I've also knit a few things and dropped them off at my local elementary school for kids who don't have any. I wish I could do more. I'm only one person, but every little bit helps.

The best times to give these away to schools are when there's a sharp temperature drop and the first thing in the morning on the day of a big snow storm. Another critical time is early in fall when it starts to get cold out. I see a lot of kids walking to and from school with no jackets, hats, or mittens. Sometimes parents can't afford it for their kids. Sometimes you get busy working and don't have time to pick those things up. I know I sometimes forget about winter gear until I'm caught out without them. Sometimes these things are out of season. Did you ever try to buy gloves when swim suits are out in January? Just two weeks ago I tried to buy a sweat shirt when the weather turned a little chilly. Out of luck. Now is the perfect time to knit or crochet a few items. A hat or mittens is a perfect small project to tuck in your bag to work on while waiting for appointments. My bus takes 45 minutes for me to get home after work. I'm amazed at the number of things I've been able to get done this way a little at a time. Think Christmas,too.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote