View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
Knithead12
Casting On

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I have made several attempts to knit in the round -- socks, hats, doggy sweaters, and round blankets. I've used Magic Loop and tried two circular needles; in either case, I don't enjoy the knitting and quickly give it up.

I'm thinking now of experimenting with double pointed needles. If you use them, what do you like about them? How do I decide what kind and size to start with? Are they hard to learn? Any helpful tips or tricks for getting started?

I want to learn how to make socks, if that helps. I think I wouldn't mind using ML with larger diameter projects, where I do not have to split the stitches in half.

In circs, I'm happily using both Addi and KP Harmony sets. I'm thinking of getting some relatively inexpensive Clover DPNs from Michaels to try out but haven't been to the store to see what kinds or choices I have.

Thanks!
I literally just started using DPN's about an hour ago for the 1st time and already enjoy it. I didnt mind the ML method but found that with a small amount of stitches or fine yard it wasnt ideal. Using DPN's isnt as scary as I thought now that I'm on my 3rd row and its going along great. I bought US size 3 (3.25mm) metal needles (would have preferred wood but store didnt have any) and they seem easy to handle as well long enough to hold enough stitches. So all in all I can now say Im a DPN knitter and see many more projects in my future and wish you the best in your discovery of a new technique.

P.S.-Here's the project Im working on and find it to be DPN beginner friendly

http://cyberseams.com/article/105092...ler_socks.html
Knithead12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knithead12 For This Useful Post:
amy (08-04-2012)