View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
cdepaolo
Casting On

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
This comes out right for me.

Below are a couple of things to check (and note):

Does the pattern say "repeat 4 times more"? Because you need to repeat the stitches between the asterisks 5 times total to get to 165 (then add the last stitch after the repeat).

Also, yo's do not use any stitches to make a new stitch. You are simply wrapping the yarn around the needle (you may want to take a look at the Glossary tab at top to make sure you're doing these right--'cause you wrap the yarn differently before a purl stitch and a knit stitch).

Both the SK2P and the K3tog take 3 stitches to make 1 (so a decrease of 2 stitches).

There are two things to be aware of when counting stitches in knitting: One is how many stitches you USE, and the other is how many stitches you MAKE.

In this pattern, row 1 will have the same number of stitches as the foundation row (but note: that's not always the case). So when you count out how many stitches you will USE, it looks like this: regular knit and purl stitches = 27 stitches within repeat + 1 at end; SK2P and K3tog = 6; yo's = 0 (because you don't use any stitches to make them) Which gives you 27 + 6 = 33 repeated 5 times = 165 + 1 knit stitch at end.

When you count how many stitches you MAKE, it looks like this: regular knit and purl stitches = 27 stitches within repeat + 1 at end; SK2P and K3tog=2 (this how many stitches are on your needle after you've completed each decrease); yo's = 4; So again, that's 33 stitches repeated 5 times + the 1 stitch at the end!

Hope I didn't overwhelm you, but this can get tricky if you're not thinking about it right.
In addition to the thank you!!!, I want to say that I was knitting 2 in the SK2P, as I thought the direction was to knit 2, rather than knit 2 together(I should have looked that up rather than assumed I knew what to do)....the instruction for repeat is to just repeat 4 times, so I will run through the pattern for a total of 5 times.

My count was off because I was counting SK2P as 4 stitches, rather than 2. This might make up for the loss that I was seeing. I was getting 34 times 5 (170), plus 1, leaving me with the 171 total. Thank you again. I can move forward and hopefully not get stuck again!
cdepaolo is offline   Reply With Quote