View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Yes, when you do this particular pattern you can see the length and width as you are knitting. Because it's knit on the diagonal, you can keep increasing until you reach the dimensions you want.
With patterns that are knit straight across, determine what width in inches you'd like and then use your gauge to tell you how many sts you need to cast on to give you that number of inches. if there's a pattern repeat, you'll need to take that into account when you determine the sts to cast on, but usually you can round off to some multiple of the pattern repeat that will give you approximately the width you want.
UGH didnt realize I sent a link of a diagonal for example. Here is another one below. When you say "take the pattern repeat into consideration" that's exactly the spot I get stuck on. I pasted anotherr link below to use as an example. If there is a pattern repeat how do I determine the number of extra stitches I need to make it bigger. Do I take the amount of stitches used in the repeat and then double, triple, etc??? Here is a link:

http://www.allfreeknitting.com/Washc...gles-Washcloth
deann is offline   Reply With Quote