View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #39
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
So, if I understand correctly, the iPad will receive a wireless signal anywhere there is free internet or my home DSL? I would not have to purchase a plan through my cellphone carrier?

How about, the Kindles or other (don't know what they are called) that you download books onto? I'm guessing they have a wifi receiver too.

Can you tell that I am far behind in keeping up with new technology?

Would it make better sense to buy an iPad that allows for downloading books onto? Is there such a device?
Yes, they all have wifi so you can use it at home, Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, or wherever there is free wifi. No need to purchase a separate plan unless you want to use it someplace that doesn't have wifi and you can also get short term plans for traveling directly from your iPad.. It's cheaper to buy the iPad w/o 4G, but if you ever want the option you need to get the one with 4G.

Some Kindles have 3G, some are only wifi. Mine has both and when I get a new one I won't bother with it. The device holds so many books that you can get them before you go somewhere. I've always got a bunch in queue. Lol I prefer reading on my Kindle to the iPad. iPads are fairly heavy to hold up for any length of time as you would for a book. Also the ipad reflects so its not good outside whereas the kindle is awesome. I do have a Kindle app if I want to though. There are other book readers. The main two are Kindle and Nook (Barnes and Noble). I don't know much about Nook, but they are basically the same thing.

When I get a new Kindle I'm getting the Kindle Paperwhite! Hope to order it soon.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 10-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Lighting57 (10-03-2012)