View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #40
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
So, if I understand correctly, the iPad will receive a wireless signal anywhere there is free internet or my home DSL? I would not have to purchase a plan through my cellphone carrier?

How about, the Kindles or other (don't know what they are called) that you download books onto? I'm guessing they have a wifi receiver too.

Can you tell that I am far behind in keeping up with new technology?

Would it make better sense to buy an iPad that allows for downloading books onto? Is there such a device?

Jan answered most of your questions, I think.

If a device has wi-fi or is wi-fi enabled, that means that you can use it anywhere that there is wi-fi available, such as your home, if you have a wireless router, or a restaurant, hotel room, bookstore, that offer it. You are limited to places that allow you to connect your device to their network.

It is not the same as the 3G/4G/LTE services that are provided by cellphone carriers and have to be paid for. If you do not want to depend on wi-fi availability, then you want the device with the 3G/4G/LTE hardware and a service plan to go with it.

(I prefer wi-fi only; for me the extra hardware is an unnecessary expense.)

Some wi-fi networks are restricted or secure and you need a password to get onto them. Most of the time, "free wi-fi" is unsecure and you should be careful what kind of data you send and receive. It may be fine, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

I'm confused about this part of your post:

Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
Would it make better sense to buy an iPad that allows for downloading books onto? Is there such a device?

The way an iPad works is that you purchase (mostly for free) applications ("apps") to run on them. These apps can be managed by directly plugging your iPad into your computer and using iTunes. You can also use iTunes to download books, movies, music and whatever other content you want onto your iPad.

I have not figured out if you can download this type of content using iCloud; I always just manage my iPad when it is plugged in and don't send anything to it when it is not.

If you have an app like Dropbox, you can download files to your iPad wirelessly and then open them with a reader app, such as BlueFire Reader (epub & PDF), GoodReader (PDF), or iBooks (epub). You can also import books directly onto your device using book reading apps that are tied to online stores such Amazon (Kindle), Barnes & Noble (Nook), Apple (iBooks) or Kobo (Kobo).

I hope that helps. I don't do much reading on my iPad, because I find it too heavy to hold for more than a few minutes at a time and I have a dedicated ebook reader that I prefer to use. (Sony T1. I have a Kindle Keyboard too, but prefer the Sony. Both are wi-fi only, although I'm pretty sure the Sony does not have a cellular option.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (10-03-2012), Lighting57 (10-03-2012)