View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,728 Times in 2,296 Posts
Originally Posted by kbabij View Post
OOOOH!!! Gramma! That is SUPER helpful!!

So, with that in mind, can you translate the pattern for me into English!? In the video, when she's wrapping the two loops around her middle finger, is that the "ch 2." part? OR is that just the slip knot?
IF I understand what you're asking, that would be akin to the slip knot you use to start a chain. I looked for written instructions and found this http://www.crochetme.com/forums/t/28917.aspx. It's done a bit differently in the written instructions than in the video but it might help you understand it. (I had one bookmarked that I liked better but when my old computer died....) The only way to know how to do it is to do it, at least for me. The worst that will happen is you'll have to toss a bit of knotty yarn.

In the video @ about 1:07 where she says she's going to do 6 (sc) you would chain 2 instead of working into the ring as for a single crochet and the ch 2 would count as a hdc as called for in the pattern. If you are more comfortable starting with sc I don't think it would make any real difference in your socks, just go to hdc in the 2nd rnd.

There are lots of videos for magic circle, magic ring, adjustable loop (it might go by other names as well) so you might want to look at several and find the one that's best for you.

I'll check back to see how you're doing. I might just have to crochet a set as you do yours, just for the fun of it. I haven't crocheted socks in ages.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote