Thread: Glove question
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I hate patterns. I like to use a measuring tape and measure the distances. I've done a lot of mittens and convertible mittens. I've done gloves, too, although I really don't like making the fingers. Your distance from where you end the ribbed cuff to the thumb opening is going to be the same as the thumb length. For medium size mittens and gloves, which most people are, is about 2 1/2 inches for these two measurements. From the thumb opening to where you will actually start the fingers is about 1 3/4 to 2 inches depending on your hand size. If these gloves are for you, knit until you get to where your knuckles and fingers meet. If this is for someone else, see if you can get them to trace their hands on a piece of paper for you and measure from that.

A teen/small woman size will be about 2 1/4 inches. Large size will be 2 3/4. The measurements are pretty standard, unless you run into odd people. I'm doing gloves for my in-law. His hands are average but he has long drummer fingers. This also won't work if someone has linebacker/big moose hands. Best to get out that piece of paper and maybe two sheets if they're really large. Hope this helps.

Last edited by fatoldladyinpjs : 11-10-2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: brain freeze
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (11-10-2012)