View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'll have to look into those DVDs. Are they just for really advanced knitters like you or could anyone benefit from them?
Glad you asked that question! I'd say none of the KDTV content is designed for the advanced knitter! Every segment on the DVD's is 'a show' with a little of everything. A part on yarn, then maybe a short segment on a particular technique, then a small segment by Kristin Omdahl about crochet, then a short segment about a project, etc.

I even find myself learning cool stuff in the Crochet Corner segment!

So that's it. KDTV is meant to educate and inspire every knitter! Even what I'd consider 'tricky stuff' like a new cast-on technique...Eunny Jang breaks it down into a process that you can follow. To learn the new cast-on's, I've been known to re-watch it ten times til I 'get it'!

The dropped stitch scarf was demonstrated on the show, plus that cool modified herringbone stitch! I was sooooooo inspired I had to try them right away!

I've learned some cool ways to fix an oops! In Series 900, Eunny Jang showed us how to fix a mis-crossed cable without frogging back to the mistake! Wow. One of the mis-crossed cables was down several inches in a real complicated cable, a Celtic cable. Eunny showed how you can undo the error! It involved cutting one strand in it! I'd heard about this technique before, but could not for the life of me understand it! But now I do! If I ever need it, I'll re-watch the segment and do-it-along-with-Eunny! cuz I'd definitely have to watch it again. But the main point is, I got it! And I got it well enough to feel confident about the fix. Eunny took the mystery out of it.

In Series 900 there was a cool segment about the use of steeks....different ways to seal a steek's raw edge. Mainly a thing Fair Isle knitters utilize, but I enjoyed learning the three ways you can do it! I could possibly use the techniques if I wanted to cut a knitted item to remodel it.

I've learned stuff that I didn't even know I didn't know. LOL

In the earlier KDTV Series 100-500 they used to include weaving lessons and spinning lessons! Wow. Oh, and needle felting lessons! Those are fiber arts that were a TOTAL MYSTERY to me. But after watching the demonstrations and lessons, I feel confident that I could weave or spin! Of course those fiber arts require equipment that I don't own. Looms and spinning wheels. Although there was a lesson on drop spindle spinning which was very easy and minimal expense.

I bought some colored fiber from Knit Picks along with a little needle felting gadget after I watched the needle felting segment! That was sooooooo cool! It's incredibly easy, and very artistic! You can needle felt teensy flowers and leaves right into knitted item! Or like onto your felted bag! I loved that segment! I had never even heard of needle felting!

There are sock lessons, too. BUT, I've yet to try a sock, everyone knows that! LOL

Techniques lessons are one of my favs. There are so many techniques that enhance regular knitting. I couldn't even YouTube it because I wouldn't know what I'm missing!

Anyway, keep your eye PEELED for the DVDs to go ON SALE right about NOW! Last year, KDTV/The Interweave Store was offering the DVD sets/series on sale....like instead of $39.95 each set (4 discs totaling 348 minutes, yes over 5 hours long!) they were 3 sets for $99. Something like that. Maybe even less.

You should check their website today! I bought my first five series, Series 100-500, from our Knitting Help Shop on sale for $34.95 each a few years ago, then I've been buying the new ones from the Interweave Store ever since. As soon as it's released, I grab it up!

Like I said, the KDTV DVD Series are my only knitting education investment these days. I've never been burned in spending the $39.95.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 11-26-2012 at 02:58 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote