View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

And I think one thing new knitters don't know is that is you use the wrong size yarn and/or needles, it's going to affect the size of your finished garment. It will make it either too big or too small. On something like a blanket or a scarf, the gauge isn't too critical. But on something that's worn it's a big difference. I like to read the number on the yarn wrapper and go from there. I don't generally use fingering weight yarn. A #3 baby sport weight can be used with a #3 to #7 needle (larger size for something like a baby blanket). A size 6 to 9 for worsted. A size 9-10 1/2 for #5 bulky weight. Size 11 to 13 and above for a #6 superbulky. This would be something like Lion Hometown brand or Woolease Chunky. These aren't cut in stone, of course, but these are general guidelines that work for me. Experiment a little. I used to only knit bulky knit pieces in needles 10 1/2 to 13. I forced myself to use the smaller needles. Now I prefer using the smaller ones. My favorite is a size 7 or 8. Trust me, it's very hard to knit bulky weight yarn with a #5 needle. If you don't break the needle, you'll have very sore hands.
skookknitter (12-05-2012)