Thread: WIP - Albem Bag
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

For the strap, the pattern says:
With smaller straight needles, using 2 strands of yarn held tog, cast on 9 sts.
Row 1 (RS): K1, * p1, k1, rep from * across.
Row 2: P1, * k1, p1, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 50, end on WS.
Bind off in ribbing.

I read this quite fast and thought "oh, that's easy - that is the moss stitch: alternate a purl and a knit. That is probably because the edge of the front and back piece have a moss stitch, and this way it will be easier to sew them together. But I have a purl on the edges, so maybe I should also have a purl on the edges of my strap...."
Plus, 9 stitches is a bit small so lets make that 11 - I'm gonna make the flap a bit longer anyway.

So I put on 11 stitches and started knitting a moss stitch with purl-columns on the edges. After 5 rows I looked again at the description and realized something was wrong. If it had been moss stitch, they could just tell me to do the same row over and over and over and ... It isn't moss stitch, it is a 1x1 ribbing - a rib stitch! That makes much more sense...
So I took it all apart again and started anew.

It took me quite a while to get it this long

The pattern says the strap should be 50'', so I placed a pin at every 10'' and just waited till I could put in the 5th pin

I think 50'' will be enough, since the bag is a bit smaller than the pattern describes so the strap might be a bit longer. And longer is good But to be honest, I have no clue how long the original is - you can't really see on the picture where the bag will hang on the body... I hope it is around the hips... We'll see.

This is what I have now:

Next will be the elongination of the flap
To be continued