View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
About 6 or 7 yrs. ago I developed something on my right palm and the heel of my hand. It starts out with a hard bump that starts looking like a pimple, then the skin gets all rough and at that time it progressed to a thick yellowish crud all over the palm and heel of my hand. I had no insurance and seeing a dr. was pretty much out of the question. I started covering it with a band aid for knees whenever anyone else might see it. It was just nasty looking. It itched too, so bad that I would use one of those file things for heels and scrape off layers of the dead skin. I came across a People's Pharmacy column in a newspaper that suggested turmeric might be helpful for some people with skin problems such as psoriasis and eczema. I went to Walmart and bought a bottle of turmeric capsules and started taking them. Within a few days the problem was not as severe, the dead skin buildup was going away, the itching was much less. I don't remember how long it took for my hand to clear up completely but it wasn't more than a few weeks I'm sure. If I stop taking the turmeric, it starts coming back. It won't work for every skin condition or for everyone, but if you're not allergic to turmeric and have a skin problem it might be worth a try. Currently I'm taking 4 500-mg. capsules a day but not so much for my hand - a smaller dose works for that - as because it helps with the pain and stiffness in my knees and hands. Here's the website for the People's Pharmacy. http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/ I won't say that they have all the answers, that none of the advice or recommendations you might find there are less than wonderful, but I don't think they are snake oil salesmen or totally down on prescriptions and when I've looked there they seemed to have a balanced approach.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (12-13-2012)