View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Thanks, mojo, that is very similar to what I have in mind. I'm looking at various hats to decide how to proceed. I'm thinking I'll do a beret type top (subject to change without notice LOL). Before I do the provisional cast on I have to decide how wide I want the band to be. I want it to cover my ears to keep them warm so fairly wide I think. My MO is making it up as I go along. I leave designing to people who know what they're doing.
I "design" the same way, which can lead to some... very interesting pieces. I've done several berets (okay, four) both knitted and felted, and they were all based on the same design. If that's what you're going for, then you really don't have to pick up a lot more stitches, just do some radical increases in the first several rounds, then a few even rounds and then start decreases. I recommend rounds in multiples of at least 8 to give you the "flattened" top like a beret. I always do mine top down and start with 8 stitches, so if you're starting at the bottom, you'd want your last decrease to be to 8. Or more. The other thing I did to get the shape I wanted (which is probably breaking some rule I'm unaware of) was to NOT skip rounds between the even rounds and the bottom ... er... increase (going bottom up) or decrease (top down) and to increase/decease every round from the top until I got to about the 7th round (from the top). The part in the middle I did as "normal", with increases/decreases every other round.

I have some photos somewhere or other... if I can find them.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote