View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
W happy she was.

Originally Posted by TheKayla View Post
ArtLady: yep, that's my problem/question after casting on, I get stuck.

I've watched the "small project" video... The lady that does these videos is AWESOME! But after she does the cast on... I'm done for! I almost feel like my yarn and needles don't mesh well with each other (which I think was talked about on the newb facts?)... The needles are metal, and the yarn is typical cheap synthetic yarn---any thoughts about this?

I apologize for the "newb" word... My iPhone keyboard won't let me use "I" for some reason!
My students (Friday night Knitting 101 class) all did better with Clover Takumi bamboo needles. One of the students had learned to knit a hundred years ago, but her tension and control of her stitches was always her bane, downfall...and led her to give up. (she had learned to knit way back then with 14" metal straight needles, btw)

This time 'round, she was using Clover bamboo needles because that was on my Class Materials list. I specifically recommended wood or bamboo.

Her tension and stitch control was PERFECTION, and I can't tell you how happy she was!

If possible, I recommend that you change to bamboo needles. They are very inexpensive, and available at local craft stores, or even Amazon! Clover brand is good, as well as the KP brand.

I don't think the problem is your inexpensive yarn. I think it's totally the metal needles causing the disharmony.

I applaud you for being able to 'self-teach' using our videos for the long-tail cast on! That shows that you have a great natural ability to learn knitting! Don't give up on yourself! I have high hopes for you!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
TheKayla (01-07-2013)