View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I've wondered if people who work with computers have one up on the rest of us when it comes to reading and following knitting patterns, after all you're used to things that must be specific down to minute details. But maybe you don't work with code. I've thought my SIL would be really good at knitting if he wanted to but then....now that I think of it....some patterns are written so they'd make his blood boil. Maybe he shouldn't be knitting. LOL However, I should probably say that he is almost certainly undiagnosed Asperger's. I can picture him now rewriting all the patterns...nope he better stick with his 'puters.
As a programmer (and a dude), there are things about knitting patterns that irritate me but I imagine they're the same things that irritate anyone, regardless of profession. Usually the things that get under my skin are things that don't make sense. Some of those are things that just don't make sense to me, others are things that don't make much sense in general.

Probably there's a correlation if you look at the success that IT types have with knitting, but not necessarily a cause-and-effect relationship. My girlfriend has a master's in computer science and she's probably THE most brilliant knitter I know. She does things that ... well, you'd just have to watch her. Then you have me, who's worked in the field for 22 years and... well, let's just say I haven't achieved anything close to "brilliance" as a knitter yet. Yet.

I suspect that the connection isn't direct, but probably two different manifestations of the same underlying aptitude. Musicians (good ones at least) are usually good at mathematics. They'd probably make good knitters too (or programmers for that matter) if they took up the craft.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote