View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,732 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I don't think these are beginner instructions. It takes some skill to do something like that. I have a toe up sock pattern (my own made up one) that starts out with a cast on of 4, increase, and join. But I also have several years experience doing magic loop with circulars. The first few rows are tight. But you have to keep plugging in there. I think the reason for the 4 stitches is to reduce the hole on top. I cast on 4, join, increase stitches, then pull the tail tight to close up the hole at the end of the first row.

For what it's worth, I think the patterns tell you to use 16 inch circulars then switch to double points for the decreases so they can sell you more needles. I use 32 inch circulars for hats and that's because that's the longest one that came with my set. Eventually, I want to get a 40 inch. I use traveling or single loop for the main body of the hat and switch to magic loop for the decreases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyd0BkKC8tU

Is the toe start your invention? I'm trying to think how it works so I can try it. I saw a sock pattern for top-downs that ended with pulling the yarn through the last stitches as for a hat and was wondering how to make it work toe-up. I even thought about a provisional cast on and then adding the toe, but I don't think I like that idea. It is possible for a circ cable to be too long for comfortably MLing I found. I had to tink mittens and wanted to use a smaller needle so I used another cable which was loooong and decided that's not a good way to go. LOL

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote