View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by MrsBknits View Post
It seems that when I'm yarning fwd I'm increasing by 1, because if I knit (yarn is to back) bring the yarn to the front (yarn forward) then knit again it is having the same effect as yarning over, ie adding a stitch. When I do this now I am only left with 1 stitch to knit at the end of the row, instead of 3! Yet, when I count the stitches it adds up to 28.
Then on the next row when I yrn then purl to end that makes 29, which is correct.
The next row asks me to repeat the first row.Again I had 1 stitch to knit at the end, instead of 3, again giving 28.
The I must yrn and knit to end (29) and repeat theses 4 rows until it reaches a certain length.
The knitting is starting to take on the correct shape according to the picture, so maybe the pattern is wrong, not me?? Maybe it should read k1 instead of k3 at the end of the first row?
No the reason you only have 1 left at the end of the row instead of 3 is because you ate up the other 2 sts with what I put in bold above. You're knitting a stitch that isn't there when you do the YOs, so you have too many sts between them on the repeat twice. A yo is only wrapping the yarn around the needle and does not include a k1. So you wrap the yarn, k3, dec, k3, wrap the yarn k1 only, then repeat. Don't be knitting any stitches that aren't mentioned in the pattern - it says k3, not k1, k3.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
MrsBknits (01-11-2013)