View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Technically, pick up and knit is a 2 step process where you start at the other edge and pick up sts with the L needle, then knit them with the R needle. Pick up is a one step process where you insert the R needle into a stitch on the edge (pick up) wrap the yarn around the needle and pull it through the stitch (knit). Many people use the terms interchangeably. It's faster and easier to do the one step process, especially if you have a long edge to pick up on, or it's curved.
The only way I've ever done it is to cram both needles into one hole, and treat it like a knit stitch... Sounds like 2 steps to me, but I dunno. It works, which is my only real requirement.

I actually did it with a crochet hook once out of desperation. (Black yarn, tight gauge, bad light... you know, all the wrong stuff.) It worked well enough for my purposes, and it was all gonna be hidden in the selvedge anyway. Of course this meant slipping the stitches off the end of the crochet hook onto the needle to continue, but at that point as long as I got some loops on a needle I didn't really care how it happened.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote