View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I must be on the same page as David and GG 'cause I got what you were saying.

Here's my method: Knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, (oh my, I'm almost out of yarn), knit, knit, knit, (will I make it to the end of the row?), knit, knit, knit (will I?), knit, knit, knit, knit, (I'm not going to make it--SIGH), knit, knit, knit, (well, I might make it), knit, knit, knit, knit (Nope, not going to make it), knit, knit, knit (Maybe I won't run out of yarn), knit, knit, (there's no way I can make this stretch to the end of the row), knit, knit, knit, (well maybe), knit, knit, knit, knit, (come on, Baby, just a few more), knit, knit, knit (Ahh! I DID have enough). Join new ball of yarn.

And that's my tried-and-true method for figuring out whether I have enough yarn to finish a row!
I understood perfectly. Both the original question and Antares method for deciding if it's enough. I use the same method unless it's really really critical like a color change or something.

I don't usually obsess over having to join at the beginning of a row/round. For one thing, I often find it easier not to... but I'm a little strange (okay a lot). For another it drives me completely spare to waste yarn (a holdover from my childhood, no doubt, that no amount of therapy will ever cure). But if it's critical, I usually figure on 3-4 times the length of the row. If it's plain garter or stockinette, 3 is usually sufficient. If it's a pattern stitch... it's a little dicier. And if I'm trying to decide if I have enough for a BO, I err on the long side (at least 4x) because all bets are off at that point, especially if I'm gonna be using the double-your-needle-size convention.

Dunno if that helps any, but it's my 2% of a dollah.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote