Thread: I'm stumped
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
It's still going 'over' the needle though... People often try to overcomplicate YOs when it's just simply putting the yarn over the needle. For some reason, when I first encountered one in a pattern, I didn't have trouble doing it - I just did what the pattern said, took the yarn over the needle. Same thing for kfb, knit into the front and back of the same stitch. Easy.
I'd only ever done YO's by accident until I started working on Christmas presents this past year. For some reason when I had to do it on purpose, I went blank. And THEN I started hearing all the variations on the theme and the circuit breaker tripped to keep me from exploding I guess. Plus it's a lot easier to do than it is to visualize (without doing).

As for kfb, that was the first stitch I ever knitted in my life. It wasn't so much complicated as just hard to DO because I'd gotten the slip knot for the CO1 too tight. Strangely enough (or maybe not) I had less trouble getting into the back of the stitch I'd just knit into the front of than I did getting into the back of an M1. I figure it was probably the geometry of it, because it didn't seem to matter how loose the M1 loop was, I couldn't chase down the back loop of it. Finally I figured out that I could accomplish the same thing by cramming the LH needle into the FRONT loop.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote