View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #43
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
One interesting note about the foundation stitches: I've read that they were first seen in books from the 1950s; however, in looking through antique crochet books, I found it in books from the early 1900s. It probably originated long before that, though!

Isn't it fun to be a part of such a long history--a history where there's nothing new under the sun, and yet, everything about it is still new and exciting?
I know! And to think men knitted and crocheted before women did. I read about it in a Canadian knitting book. When men made knitting machines women took up the craft of hand knitting so it wouldn't die out. wtg women!

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I have read that the fsc and fdc are used in filet crochet and some of that is done with very thin thread. That's been around a long time so it may have originated with filet crochet then crossed over to other uses. I dunno. Interesting to think about. Being knotty can be so much fun.
Ah... just the thing I was thinking about. The toilet tank thing isn't going very well. I keep messing up the count between the back row dc twisties. Not easy. 12 solid hours yesterday and never got past the first 15 rows. Very sad and frustrating. I'm about ready to go plain but... I really would love to do a filet crocheted rose for it. That would be ornate! I looked up on youtube and the filet crochet looks worse than rocket science.

[quote=RosieoinIdaho;1367269]
Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

This is so awesome! I can't believe I have been crocheting for all these years and have never learned these stitches Think of all the time & unraveling I could have saved when doing afghans!
Thank you so much for sharing the links!

My problem is I can't see any links. Have I gone blind or just stupid from crochet fever? I want to do that casting on/first row operation. But thanks a million for the links. Soon as I find them I'm going!
starbuckundomiel is offline   Reply With Quote