Thread: I'm Excited
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
I've only ever used Addi circs in single sizes, but I liked them. I personally think Hiya Hiyas are a better value, at least as far as the single length circs go. I have several of them and love 'em.

That said, I notice a clever marketing ploy Hiya Hiya uses in their interchangeable sets. They have 2 sets, large and small, which go from... 2-8 and 9-15 (I think). The marketing trick is that the cables won't swap between the large and small sets. So for someone like me, who rarely uses anything smaller than a US 6, I'm going to wind up either buying stuff I'll rarely or never use, OR spending just as much to get the individual tips and cables for sizes 6-8. And on top of that, they don't include the cable for a 16" length in the set -- 18" is as short as you can go. I'm sure if you asked them, they'd say that even with the 4" tips they'd be too long for a 16" needle. (The tips are available in 4" and 5" lengths, and those DO interchange -- within the same set.)

All of that has me looking at the Knitter's Pride Dreamz interchangeable sets which go from... 4-11 and 13-17 (I think?). I have a couple of single length Dreamz and like them well enough, and my girlfriend has both interchangeable sets and LOVES them.
Ah. The marketing ploy. Probably because you need pretty small cables for size 2 needles.
Someone at my LYS told me that there was some sort of legal thing with knitpicks and knitters pride (I'm pretty sure it was them) about the interchangable sets and that the tips are interchangable between the two brands. Not that that makes the tips similar in any way, I just thought it was interesting (and possibly useful). I haven't tried knitters pride. I mostly have just an ever growing variety of fixed circs. I should get a set before it gets out of hand....
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote