Thread: I'm Excited
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I got the sampler sets from Webs and Knit Picks, all pieces are interchangeable which means I have double of some sizes of tips and that's great. I ended up going with Knit Picks because I got free shipping and they had a 20% sale going, when I contacted WEBS they told me they couldn't/wouldn't consider free shipping. I think WEBS doesn't charge me sales tax and Knit Picks does, so the tax/shipping might have been a wash except for the 20% off. I have Cubics fixed circ size 3 and use it but prefer round needles. WEBs have the needle size on the tips but it's too small for me to read and that's not a selling point. Overall it seems that only the names and colors have been changed to protect the guilty. Having black and purple cables can help ID which piece of knitting is next, which needle to use if using 2 circs in the round. The colors on the wooden set from WEBS, as I recall each size was a different color, was something I wanted but in the end decided the Sunstruck set on sale would suit me nicely. It does. Whatever needles you decide to buy, I hope you love them. My one experience with Addi Turbo is forget it, never again. I am so so so glad there are different needles for different knitters and we can each choose what best suits our needs and finances. Now to buy a Powerball ticket so I can keep feeding my knitting addiction.

From the WEBS site:

And, as always, YMMV.
I can get the Knitter's Pride sets at the LYS, so shipping isn't an issue for them. I think those are the only interchangeable sets they stock, but I'm pretty sure Mary'd order whatever I wanted. My one knock against the Dreamz in general I might not have even recognized had it not been for the ones I bought single-lengths of. The 10.5 size is a dark brown, almost black, which was exactly what I DIDN'T need for fumbling around with a brown/grey/black marled single-ply alpaca blend. (It's giving me enough trouble as it is!) Though I'm not sure the mirror finish of my stainless steel Hiya Hiyas would have made it substantially easier from that perspective.

I heard a coupe of folks at the LYS talking about one variety of Addi's recently saying they'd "turned green". I assume the nickel plating oxidized or something like that, which you'd think Addi would have foreseen and done something about.

Whatever anybody thinks of them, Addi's are too rich for my blood.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote