Thread: Round Sizing
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
Hello again everyone. I'm back with another question. Before you ask, my scarf is coming along very nicely. Since frogging it the other day I've gotten it almost a foot long. And 5 color changes.

I've also started another project, this one is inspired by the posting from fatoldladyinpjs about the Solders that knit.

I've decided to do the watch cap but with slight variations. I'm going for 2 tone black and white with black being the bulk of the project with 3 parallel white stripes wrapping halfway round horizontally. That's not my problem. I've working using DPN's never done it before and last night I sorta figured out working DPN, and got my cast on onto my 3 needles. My issue though is the sizing looks off. I followed the pattern for the cap using 108 stitches divided up between 3 needles, but it's looking a bit small.

Tonight I can post a pic of where it's currently at for some feedback as far as stitch spacing goes for casting on.

As always I appreciate your input.
Two things come to mind here.

First is, (and I only learned this recently myself) that your gauge can be different when you're knitting in the round like you would be for a hat than it is when you're knitting flat -- like a scarf. (Somewhere there's a recent thread on this very topic in fact.) Which is tangentially related to my next thought...

Second, when you knitted your scarf, you were making garter stitch -- knitting every row (no purling) But if you do the same thing with the hat (i.e. knit every round) you'll be making stockinette stitch which is considerably narrower than garter stitch given the same number of stitches. So 108 stitches in garter stitch is wider than 108 stitches in stockinette. So if you based the gauge for your hat on the gauge you got making your scarf, it would make your hat come out small. Even if you were using the same yarn and same size needles.

Finally, this may not be an altogether bad thing. A little bit small is what you're going for in a knitted hat because it'll stretch (sometimes a LOT) and if you make it bang-on the size of your head, it'll blow off in a good gust of wind. Not really what you want in a hat. So if you're gonna be off, it's better to be off on the small side.

UPDATED: Yup. I found the thread on round gauging, and there's an excellent shortcut in it from Suzeeq.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote