View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
..not sure what all the "hype" is regarding patterns etc..The question in this thread is "how to use dpn's" and BTW I happen to own 5 metal (sticks,used as needles), US...000 from the early 1930's used for sock knitting (or any small diameter knitting)
Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
I'd recommend large needles and thick yarn for learning (almost) ANY technique. (I'm sure there are exceptions, don't get excited...)

I suspect that DPNs are simply the lowest common denominator, which is why pattern writers favor them. Well, that and probably the really big name pattern writers have probably been doing this for decades or learned at the feet of someone who has, so that's what they know. No tin foil hats required here.

Personally, I'm perfectly content to consign DPNs to the realm of I cord and cables and the occasional piece of flat knitting or repair work. There are times when they're uniquely suited to a particular purpose, but given another option I'll use it. Because I have enough trouble with stitches falling off ONE end of a needle -- I don't need to increase the chances of that happening any further.
Please explain to me WTH you are talking about...yes, it's knitting and no "tin foil hats ARE NOT required" ...No, we didn't acquire a PHD in this craft, but this site just happens to be "light", fun and enjoyable.. oh and informative too.. ....I knit for fun and relaxation...AND TO TAKE A PIECE OF STRING AND MAKE A BEAUTIFUL, EVERLASTING ITEM FROM IT...

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote