View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
tangrene
Ribbing the Cuff

feeling like a dunce
Hi folks, I have knitted socks before (with DPNS) and also sockloom, but splurged and bought both of the sock books by Melissa Morgan-Oakes so I could enjoy my new interchangeable Dreamz knitting needles, (as well as my new 47 in fixed circulars 0,1,2,3,).

Figured I should start with the first two at a time sock books cause I am sort of a details type person...LOL and "must" follow the details.

Is it just me or is there something a bit off on the details of where I am suppose to be starting the heel flaps of the 1st sock of the book?

I checked the errata and appears I did get an updated book with the errata corrected.

For 2 days I simply could not get cast on and started per the pictures as far as the direction of the yarn and needles. I was always ending up with my starting yarns not matching the pictures or the direction of work.

SOOO I watched a few videos...and no problem. I got casted on and knitting in the right direction in a much much simpler way and knitted on to the heels.

Then I went back to the BOOK and started the 1st heel flap...R side, turn, purl back (not exact but you get the idea)...and I am NOT in the middle between sock A and sock B in order to then continue on to the sock B heel.

I spent my night playing thru the whole mess in my mind...and still it just does not compute. I am very very close to NOT using the book and go to something that makes sense... (am I the only one that knits in their mind while sleeping?)

BUT...I hate to give up. SOOOOO if anyone has any experience with that book and the first pattern for practice sock AND the instructions AND pictures are correct...then I know it is just me being a dunce...and I will keep trying to figure it out because I bought the darn book and it has patterns I like.

Or I could give up and go to another sock book....of which I have...but not with the magic loop e at a time tech, I certainly can't do any worse on my own at this point. LOL!
tangrene is offline   Reply With Quote