View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,637 Posts
Pick up and Knit also known as Picking up Stitches
Quote:
so I have got to figure out what I am doing so I can teach her the "right" way. If Nana can't follow a pattern...then I will be teaching her the wrong way.
There is no "right" way to knit. There are no knitting police. If knitting isn't enjoyable, why bother? We can buy ready made socks. There is a learning curve for everything, but if you can knit socks without the pattern, you might just be giving yourself more grief than you need. I have a horrible time working through a pattern. I can understand and do all the steps involved but somehow it will just get all messed up in my head and then my knitting is messed up. For me the "right" way is to combine what I can from patterns with my make-it-up-as-I-go-along way of doing things. I can say I designed it if I want, it sounds better. The best gift you can give your GD is to help her not be so stressed over perfection, IMHO. As for the dyslexia, maybe you can use different colored markers to designate which is the front of each sock, making notes so you know which is the one you started with. Many people do not knit 2@time socks ML. You could do each sock on a separate needle, work part of one and then work that part on the other. As far as I'm concerned, experts only have helpful advice if it works for me; if I have to struggle too much and lose the enjoyment of knitting, then fergit it. I guess what I want to say is find what works for you, what you are comfortable with, stretch beyond it some but don't make knitting torture. If you GD sees you frustrated and not enjoying it, why would she want to continue?

You can make beautiful socks, and if they don't conform to someone else's way of doing things, so what. Have fun!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote