View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

There was an exhibit mounted at a local art gallery here last summer by a crochet artist named Olek who did full body suits crocheted from balloons (not inflated ones obviously). Not sure why she chose balloons instead of ... say rubber bands or strips of inner tube or whatever, but she didn't consult me first. Anyway. The mounted exhibit included a tractor cozy -- yes, a full-on John Deere tractor completely covered in crochet -- but that was done in yarn. The body suits were only displayed in photos because she actually crocheted them ON the model. And the models were understandably anxious to get OUT of those things. The whole thing was pretty astonishing. Oh, and she covered the entire front of the building in crochet too. Which was impressive, but my favorite was the tractor.

Probably the most unique knitting job I've heard of was for Camilla, the rubber chicken "mascot" of NASA. Apparently there's quite a competition to see who gets to knit Camilla's space suits, and this one was made of plastic shopping bags by a British housewife in Warwickshire. Not sure which mission it was for.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
susianna (02-14-2013)