View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
RockabillySole
Casting On

Audrey Hepburn doll pattern has me perplexed, please help!
Hello fellow knitters! I'm a brand newbie, I just started knitting a few months ago and I signed up here to ask this specific question, as I believe I bit off waaayy more than I can chew when it comes to making this pattern. I have the doll complete (amazingly, and not without a few fails might I add) but I'm utterly stumped on the hair!

Here's what the pattern says. Which by the way, I found by Googling "Audrey Hepburn knitted doll" (can't post links yet or I would have credited it)-

Using US 6 (4 mm) needle and yarn B and C held together, cast on 12 sts.
Row 1: Knit to end.
Row 2: Purl to end.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 once more.
Row 5: K8, slip next stitch, yarn forward, turn.
Row 6: Slip first stitch, purl to end.
Row 7: K4, slip next stitch, yarn forward, turn.
Row 8: Slip first stitch, purl to end.
Row 9: K4, pick up wrap on next stitch, place on left-hand needle and knit next st and wrap together, k3, slip next st, yarn forward,
turn.

I can manage to halfway through row 5. I might have even correctly Googled the "yarn forward" (which isn't a YO, or a M1, if I am not mistaken - those I can do!). I will post the link to this method after I post this question here, I assume I can post a link in a second post (reply), please can somebody tell me if that is the correct way to "yarn forward"?

Where I feel most confused is, there are 12 stitches on my LN, and I've knitted 8 of them, S1 and presumably YFWD'd. So now I turn and have 9sts on my LN and 3 left on my RN. Row 6 is a purl of the 9 stitches I just worked? What's actually supposed to happen to the remaining 3 stitches I didn't touch during row 5 (or am I supposed to do something there?). I tried it and it looked weird so I panicked and unravelled thinking I did it wrong and here I sit.

I also wonder if it's possible to knit the hair with just one colour, one strand of yarn? I assume I'd have to size down on my needles so that the knit isn't too wide for that, I'm just not certain I like it with the two colours (I know, I can't even figure out the pattern and here I am trying to change it, the nerve of me - I'm sorry!! )

I'm making this doll for a friend who's coming in 30 days, and she just looks so weird without hair. I will be so thankful to anyone who can offer any assistance! I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this! Happy knitting to all.

*I promise to share photos when she isn't a creepy bald naked lady with gloves on *
RockabillySole is offline   Reply With Quote