View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I've tried that Norwegian purl and so far it's a nonstarter for me. For now I'm going with, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can finally knit and purl English, so I'll try the NP again, I like having more than one way to do things. I like washcloths for practicing pattern stitches too.
NP is good if your purls are loose or you dread the back and forth or ribbing, so you may not really need it. If you do a lot of st st however, it can actually slow you down. That's when Cat Bordhi's method is useful, because it's really fast. I'm not sure it's the best for beginners because they will need to be able to reseat the stitch on the knit side. That definitely would have thrown me for at least the first five years of my knitting career.

I wish I could do the English just a bit, because it would help me a lot with my stranded knitting. Right now, I tension every yarn over my left index finger, no matter how many colors I'm knitting with. It's a little frustrating sometimes, because it's really slow and the yarns tangle.

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
ETA: I find that keeping the working yarn closer to the needles and the distance between the needles and my finger holding the yarn minimized helps too, there is less yarn to tension, ergo it's easier. In fact, sometimes I *rock* my left hand to the front of the work and my index finger moves very little or not at all in wrapping the yarn. I can't do videos and don't know how to explain it better than that. I find the less I have to move my left index finger, the better. What I do might be called picking, I'm not sure.
I know what you mean. I do something similar. The matching Norwegian knit is essentially just working much closer to the tip of the needle. I find blunt tip needles are better for this method because of this. The hands move very little except to tension the purl by rocking back with the left hand if needed.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote