View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #39
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
I have a 16 in circular needle, and the yarn I have is very chunky velour-like baby Bernat. I tried casting on 60 stitches, and it was easy to join initially, but then it would become sort of "unjoined."
Once you have joined you will just keep knitting around and the rows will lay on top of each other, so you shouldn't be coming "unjoined" once you have a few rows done. Was the cast on just a bit loose?

...with a longer and longer piece of yarn that I wound up pulling through every stitch.
It sounds like you may have tried to knit with something other than the working yarn because you shouldn't be pulling up any more yarn than what's needed to form the stitch. Sometimes if I've used the longtail cast on I will try to knit with the leftover tail and I pull a loose string through, but its an easy fix to undo those stitches and pick up the working yarn.

Did this, frogged, and started over a few times. I then got a good join and knitted quite a bit. It then became apparent that the finished "hat" would be the size of a hula hoop! So then I just cast on 45 stitches, but had great difficulty stitching around because they got spread way out, and I had to DRAG them up the needles for each stitch.
I then tried a smaller needle (12 in., I think) and the hat looked too small, and it was sort of cumbersome to knit. I think I need a needle size that falls between the two.
I'm probably misinterpreting what you have written but it may be that your project is longer than you want. Are you knitting from a pattern? Can you post a link if you are?
If your project really is wider than you wanted then you are probably adding in extra stitches when you didn't mean to. If you want to maintain sixty stitches without any increases, one thing you can try is adding some stitch markers. You could do one stitch marker every ten stitches for example, with an initial marker that marks your first stitch. This way you always know where your new row starts. Then as you knit up you can check to make sure there are only ten stitches between each marker. This is what I do anyway.
Forty-five stitches should be put on dpns I think. If you don't feel comfortable with those, then you should check out the magic loop technique.
Are you knitting a hat for an adult or a child? There are many free patterns on Ravelry for bulky yarn. The pattern can help give a starting point for what needle size to try and with what stitch count. The baby hats can be great practice for circular knitting as they are fast.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote