View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Rovio was brilliant to give away a game that became a craze and then cash in on the marketing that it created though I suspect there was a fair bit of luck involved as well. It seems to me that you can make Angry Birds items as much as you want as long as you don't sell them; you can give away patterns and the things you've made as long as no profit is involved. I guess if someone wanted to put together a kit and sell the yarn but included the pattern for free it might be allowed. Selling the pattern would be the big no no. Copyrighting an Angry Birds pattern wouldn't be possible either. At least there can't be a copyright infringement for you to deal with. Just never, ever sell an Angry Birds item. Could you charge for your time to make it? I'd seen that pattern and considered buying it but had figured out that selling the pattern was going to be a violation of something and didn't even try. I wonder if the Angry Birds folk will frequent craft sales and such to watch for someone to pounce on.
I suspect you're right about the luck involved. I mean I've never played the game but even I'd heard of it. And if you consider the number of games released every year both pay-to-play and free that never make it, it's probably only one in a hundred that get to this level.

I've seen other patterns around that WERE available, though (a) they were free and (b) I didn't really like them. There are also licensed ones available on Amazon, but I assume there was a licensing fee involved. But given that I only cared about making one hat for one kid, I figured my best bet was to "come up with something". And I was pretty sure that I could do that, and if I couldn't Wendy definitely could. And since the thing's just not that complicated anyway, I didn't figure I had anything to lose by trying. The hard part will be waiting a month to give it to him. (By which time it will probably be too warm for it here in NC.)
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote