View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
TheLegendaryKing
Casting On

Knitting a detailed picture/portrait
Hello everyone! I am somewhat new to knitting and loving it! I was planning to prepare for a large project soon, and I just wanted to know what methods I should practice to prepare for it.

As an example, I'll use the Mona Lisa. I indexed it for a realistic reference to the graph (what I am planning doesn't have THIS many colours spread out in the background; it has about 7 - 10 overall. Also, the background will be more solid, I am more focused on the people in my picture).

I just don't know if it would be possible or manageable to knit 2 squares one colour, then knit 1 another, then 3 another, and so on for the shadows on the face/background/clothes and what not. I do want to make it as detailed as possible.

So with that, I am curious as to what methods make pictures look the best? What techniques are needed to pull this off? Is thinner yarn better to make pictures look really good?

I do apologize for all of these questions at once, and I acknowledge the fact that a project like this takes a very long time, but I think I am ready and am excited to start knitting a picture.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	monalisaknit.png
Views:	116
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	56496  
TheLegendaryKing is offline   Reply With Quote