View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanks everybody for your wonderful compliments. To respond to a couple of things. It is so nice to have this community to share with.

The buttons are not only a complement but were the inspiration. I bought a bunch of buttons years ago at Joann's when they were on sale and have had these ever since. From the beginning I was thinking of a cowboy shirt for them, but never did it.

Yes, it has embroidery. The "pockets" (not even, but I tried a couple times) are duplicate stitch and the "arrows" are done with a bunch of back stitches. The pretty stuff is very much like what I found on an adult man's shirt and made smaller and interpreted it to by hand embroidery since it was machine done. And to my skill level which is not very high with embroidery. Not exactly the same on both sides but looks okay.

And yes, I designed it myself. You could upscale this to a 54 chest the same way I did it, base it all on the gauge and fooling around till you get it right (plus some math and charting). For a man you could even do cuffs more like a shirt maybe with buttons on them, but I'm not sure how. I didn't want them for a baby because he might scratch himself with them somehow, and I only had 6 buttons anyhow. Oh, and I'd use worsted weight instead of this tiny stuff. I'm glad your DS liked it, GrumpyGramma.