View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
If you'd like to compost, you might try the tumbler composting bins. They come in small sizes, and they don't stink because they're contained.

I have a new blueberry bush this year, too. It's pretty small, but I hope to have some berries some day (maybe next year?).

I will have to encourage my husband to drink more coffee so I can dump the coffee grounds on the blueberry--or just make coffee and pour it down the drain so I get the benefit of the grounds (can't drink the nasty stuff myself).

Check with local coffee shops. Starbucks puts their grounds out for anyone to pick up, you just have to check frequently and grab 'em when they're out before someone else gets them. They'll turn funny colors, orange and green, and I've even read that some of the fungi or whatever it is makes them glow in the dark but it won't hurt your compost or your garden. If used as mulch they can crust over and you might need to break it up to let water through. Just to make sure it's clear: Brown coffee grounds are green for composting. White paper filters are brown. Go figure.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote